Bartholomew's Hospital. All that remains of the
pre-Fire building are the original 15th century tower and the vestry,
which were incorporated into the present building by George Dance the
Younger in the 18th century.
Southwark Cathedral, Borough High Street, SE1
Although a church has stood on this site since the 7th century, it only
attained cathedral status in 1905. Parts of the building date back to the
16th century and a few features to before the 13th century. John Harvard,
founder of Harvard University in the USA was born in Southwark ands is
commemorated by a chapel here.
Following last months brief look at London churches, so many drivers
have asked for more historical details on church and cathedrals that Call
Sign is running the theme through to this issue...
All Saints, Margaret Street, W1
This unusual, brick-built church was erected in 1849. It was designed by
William Butterfield whose strikingly original use of bricks is continued
within the church's interior.
All Soul's, Langham Place, W1
This church was built in 1822 as part of Jon Nash's great design produced
for the Prince Regent, later to become George IV. Nash laid out a
ceremonial route from Carlton House Terrace through Regent Street and onto
Brompton Oratory, Brompton Road, SW7
This huge Roman Catholic
church was built in the 19th century in the
Italian Renaissance style. The nave is 51 feet wide and the interior
decoration overwhelmingly lavish.
St Andrew Undershaft, St Mary Axe, EC3
This church was first mentioned in the 12th century. It's name is derived
from a tall shaft or maypole which until 1517 was set up each Mayday
outside the church. It was built between 1520 and 1532
St Anne Limehouse, Commercial Road, E14
Nicholas Hawksmoor, pupil and colleague of Sir Christopher Wren built this
spectacular church in 1712. The inside is well worth a look.
St Bartholomew-the-Less, West Smithfield, EC1
This is the chapel of St